Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Accreditation and registration for engineers

Cover of the registration requirements documentAs well as academic qualifications, registration can help engineers to prove their professional skills to employers and clients.

What are accreditation and registration?

Although legally anybody in the UK can call themselves an engineer, there are additional professional titles that you can only use if you are registered with the Engineering Council. Registration requires you to show a high level of professional skill, including education and experience. This is usually done through a course, such as a degree, that has been approved by the Engineering Council. This approval is called accreditation, although you will sometimes hear people use the word ‘accreditation’ to mean ‘registration’.

Registration allows you to prove your skill, education and experience, making it easier to find jobs and allowing you to earn more.

There are four different kinds of registration:

  • Chartered Engineer
  • Incorporated Engineer
  • Engineering Technician
  • ICT Technician

Chartered Engineer (CEng)

Chartered engineers use their engineering skill to new technologies, building techniques or manufacturing processes . Most Masters courses in engineering will lead to Chartered Engineer status, and a degree is by far the most common way to obtain it, but it is not a strict requirement.

Incorporated Engineer (IEng)

Incorporated engineers implement existing technology and techniques in their chosen fields.

IEng is the usual registration if you have only a Bachelor’s degree in engineering and not a Master’s. However, as with Chartered Engineer status a degree is not absolutely necessary if you can get enough skill and experience.

Engineering Technician (EngTech)

Engineering technicians use their skills and experience to solve practical engineering problems. This could involve assembly, planning or manufacture.

You can become a registered engineering technician through an Advanced Apprenticeship, by combining a BTEC with work experience or even just by demonstrating that you have a great deal of work experience and skill.

ICT Technician (ICTTech)

ICT technicians aren’t traditional engineers, but they are registered in the same way by the Engineering Council. They work in a variety of IT areas, such as system administration, maintenance, system installation and security.

ICT technicians have usually completed an Advanced Apprenticeship, but they can also demonstrate their skill through substantial work experience.

Related Links