Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

What can you do if your university lets you down?

Dec 06, 2016

What can you do if your university lets you down?An Oxford graduate is taking the university to court, claiming bad teaching hurt his results. But problems at uni don't have to end up in court.

Lawyer Faiz Siddiqui took his final exams in 2000, and got a 2:1. He says that problems with part of his course, including four out of seven staff being on leave for the year, meant that he didn't get the first he expected – and that this has affected his career since.

Problems like this can happen during a university course – but if they do, it's best to deal with them as quickly as possible. Your university will have a complaints procedure, and if you aren't happy with the result then you can go to an independent body for more help. Your student union can also help you if the university aren't giving your problem the attention they should.

However, most universities will be keen to sort out any problems you are having without you making a formal complaint. If you are struggling with your course for any reason, a good first step is to talk to your tutor or adviser.

Related links